Contributes to patient safety by supporting the System-wide programs and policies addressing a safe environment for patients and the reporting of safety concerns to the appropriate individuals.
1. Drafts, reviews, negotiates and approves various contracts relating to the operations of The MetroHealth System.
2. Represents MHS in dealing and negotiating with external vendors, community partners and their attorneys.
3. Investigates and evaluates claims and potential claims in contract disputes presented against MHS. Advises on risk exposures or legal issues in contractual arrangements.
4. Performs legal research, and drafts corporate documents, memoranda, and opinions.
5. Provides legal and strategic advice and counsel to MHS senior management, medical staff, department directors, staff members and employees.
6. Maintains awareness of laws and regulations; keeps current with changes, developments and practices that may affect public health care systems through participation in continuing legal education courses, professional organizations, seminars and workshops; reading current literature and maintaining professional contacts in the community.
7. Promotes regulatory awareness among MHS staff and management.
8. Assists General Counsel and Associate General Counsel’s in MHS legal, operational, and governance activities as needed.
9. Monitors and reports on changes in laws and accreditation standards that affect MHS operations.
10. Additionally, will be responsible for one or more of the following areas:
a) In conjunction with the Supply Chain Department and internal MHS clients, works to streamline the review and processing of contracts. Interprets and implements applicable procurement and public laws relating to contracted services.
b) Oversees the public records request process.
c) Oversees legal issues relating to educational affiliation agreements and compliance with applicable regulations.
d) Assists in the development and maintenance of paperless practice for the Office of General Counsel.
11. Performs other functionally related duties as assigned.
Required Graduate of an ABA accredited law school
Licensed to practice in Ohio
Strong knowledge of legal theory and practice, and knowledge of specific laws and regulations imposed on health care systems by various agencies.
Five years of experience in health care law
Excellent oral, written, and analytical skills, research and problem-solving skills, and change management skills.
Excellent interpersonal and personal diplomacy skills.
High level of motivation, team orientation, professionalism, and trustworthiness, and a high value on treating others with dignity and respect.
Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
Ability to lead multi-disciplinary, complex projects
Knowledge and experience in public law issues.